Skip to main content

SEND Employment and training

There are lots of things to think about when you leave school. To help you choose what to do next, you might need to think about: 

  • what career you want to do in the future – some jobs need you to choose certain routes to get into them
  • your predicted grades
  • how you want to learn and the support you might need

Staying on in education

See Colleges, sixth forms and supported learning for information about local options and the support they can offer you.

Learning on the job

See the following sections for information about local opportunities:

Starting your own business or social enterprise

If you don't want to work for someone else you could start your own business. Having your own business or company is known as being self-employed. You must do all or most of the work yourself. You decide what to do and how to do it.


Many young people like to volunteer and local opportunities can be found in the Volunteering section. You do not get paid for volunteering but you may get support with expenses. This means you will be able to keep your benefits. People volunteer for lots of different reasons. You might volunteer to:

  • make new friends
  • do something you have never done before
  • increase your confidence
  • help you be part of the community where you live
  • learn a new skill so you can get a job

Work programmes

There are other programmes available to help you get a job or keep a job if you are a disabled person and are finding it difficult. Speak to your Disability Employment Adviser in your local job centre if you need further advice.

  • Access to Work can help pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition so you can start working, stay in work or start your own business. How much you can get depends on your circumstances. The money does not have to be paid back and does not affect your benefits.
  • Work Choice can help you find, keep and get on in a job. The type of support you get depends on the help you need - it’s different for everyone.
  • Residential Training is available for unemployed disabled adults who can’t find any suitable training courses locally.

For more information about services that may be able to support you as an adult, see Disabled people and work.

Back to top