Skip to main content

What is SEN Support?

Special Educational Needs and Disability

When a child or young person is identified as having a Special Educational Need, the support they receive becomes more targeted.

SEN Support and High Level SEN Support are used, in Trafford, to describe the specific and timelimited support that is additional and different from the Universal support that is available to children and young people of the same age.

When an early years setting, school or college thinks a child or young person might need SEN support they must work with the child or young person and their parents and carers.

Early years settings, schools and colleges must publish on their website what is provided for children and young people with Special Educational Needs. This is sometimes called a SEN Information report or SEND Local Offer report and can be found on the Trafford Local Offer website within the individual listing for each setting, school or college.

SEN Support could include:

  • additional materials and equipment
  • classroom or environment adaptations
  • individual interventions or programmes
  • small group intervention work
  • focused support from the class teacher, SENCO or support staff
  • helping the child or young person to join in class activities
  • helping the child or young person to play or interact with other children or young people
  • advice and support from external professionals such as specialist teachers

At every stage, the views and wishes of the child or young person and theirparent and carer will be listened to.

The special educational needs of most children and young people can, and should be, met through SEN Support or High Level SEN Support.

Schools have a budget called Element 2 funding which can be used to provide up to £6,000 worth of resources or additional support for a child or young person at SEN Support stage.

Read more in the Guide to SEN Support.

Back to Graduated Approach Contents

Next: What should educational settings do?