Skip to main content

SEND Living independently

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)

Some young adults stay at home with their parents or carers, others get a place to live on their own or with friends.

There are different housing options to consider depending on the type of support you need. 


Renting is a common choice and can be done on your own or in a property you share with other people. You can look for properties to rent through:

Trafford home search

Local housing association rented properties


A great housing option is to move into shared accommodation. There are lots of benefits of sharing accommodation as it can give the advantage of access to better quality accommodation, in an area of your choice as well as cutting your living costs.

SnugBug is a house-sharing service which is available for people aged 18 – 34 who have a connection with Manchester.

Snug Bug Houseshare website

Private Accomodation options

You can look for private shared accommodation online, in local shops and local newspapers. Useful websites include:

Housing Rights

Citizen’s Advice Bureau can help give you advice and information on your rights in rented, shared or housing association properties



If you are thinking of buying a home there are lots of things to consider. These guides give you more information about the process:

GOV.UK - Buying your home 

Which? - First time buyer's guide 

Shelter - Housing advice including home ownership schemes

How to get your needs assessed

If you have a disability and are likely to need help to live more independently, you should request an assessment of your needs. Support can range from just a few hours a week to up to 24 hours of support per day. Contact Trafford Community Screening Team for an asssessment.


Housing options

The Housing Options Service Trafford (HOST) offers advice and assistance on housing related issues. The service is free, impartial and confidential.

There is a useful housing and support guide called No place like home which can help you find the right housing choice.

Supported tenancies cover a range of accommodation and adapted properties set up to enable people with learning or physical disabilities, or with sight or hearing loss, to live in their own home. 

These are usually shared by a small group of tenants with staff providing support with day to day living, from a few hours a day up to 24 hours.

Help and support is also offered for setting up and maintaining a home, managing finances, claiming benefits and developing domestic and life skills.

Residential placements provide accommodation for people with learning or physical disabilities who need more intensive or specialised support than can be provided at home. Different types of residential placements are available to meet individual needs and different levels of disability.

Personal budgets can be one way of helping you pay for the support you need to live independently.


Equipment and adaptations

If you have problems bathing, washing or dressing, there is a range of specially designed equipment to help make looking after yourself simpler. These things can help you to stay living independently in your own home.

Items of community equipment are available for people who live in Trafford and who need practical help due to sight or hearing loss, physical or learning disabilities, frailty or illness.

For more information see Your Aids, Equipment and Adaptations page