Skip to main content

Your assessment

My Way

Adult Social Services helps people who live in Trafford and are aged over 18. We support:

  • People with mental health issues
  • People who have a physical disability
  • People who have a health condition
  • Older people
  • People with a learning disability
  • People who care for someone

If you are finding it difficult to manage at home, are caring for someone and need some support, or are concerned about someone who may be at risk then contact Trafford Adult Social Services. We will work with local health providers, voluntary organisations and/or private companies to help you get the support you need.


What is a needs assessment?

A needs assessment is a chance for us to look at your social care needs and work with you to find out which services will best help you to maintain your wellbeing and independence.

Trafford Council will always carry out a needs assessment before arranging any care. There is no charge for a needs assessment.

Social care needs will be based on things you may need help with, such as:

  • Making sure you eat well
  • Looking after yourself
  • Being able to move around your home
  • Being able to look after your home
  • Having contact with family and friends
  • Being able to access other community activities, such as work opportunities or education
  • Emotional wellbeing and mental health
  • Other caring responsibilities you may have
  • Supporting your family and friends to care for you

You may be entitled to help with your needs assessment from an independent advocate. Find more information about having someone Speaking for you.

How do I arrange a needs assessment?

We are working on getting an online assessment form. In the meantime please contact the Community Screening Team.

Who is eligible?


Under the Care Act 2014 there is a list of criteria which social care professionals use to assess whether someone is eligible for support from adult social care.

The adult must have a need for care and support. This need must be because they have a physical or mental illness or disability. This might be because of physical, mental, sensory, learning or cognitive disabilities or illnesses, substance misuse or brain injury.

The adult must also not be able to achieve two or more tasks (outcomes) from the list below.

The tasks (outcomes) are

  • Eating, drinking and having a healthy diet
  • Keeping yourself clean
  • Using the toilet and managing your toilet needs
  • Getting dressed and undressed
  • Getting around the home safely
  • Keeping home fit to live in
  • Keeping in touch with family and friends and having good relationships
  • Being in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Getting out and about, including public transport, and recreational facilities or services
  • Looking after a child

There must also be a significant impact on the adult’s wellbeing.

More information is available on the Department of Health website.

What happens at an assessment?

We will contact you by phone to talk about the help you need. We might also talk to your family and friends about your needs. We might also get information from professionals who support you. This might be your GP, district nurse or occupational therapist. We will then make a decision about your needs. We might:

  1. Give you information and advice about help and support in your community
  2. Refer you to the One Stop Resource Centre if you need equipment.
  3. Refer you to reablement.
  4. Arrange longer term support.

What happens if I'm in hospital?

Trafford Council have social workers supporting people in Wythenshawe, Trafford General and Salford Royal hospitals. If you think you need support after leaving hospital you can ask a doctor or nurse to refer you to the social work team. A social worker will talk to you and the people supporting you to find out if you need support at home. The social worker might:

  1. Arrange with the occupational therapist to have equipment in your home ready for when you leave hospital.
  2. Arrange for support from reablement. This might be in your home or at the assessment centre in Sale called Ascot House.

If you are at another hospital please contact the Community Screening Team.

What is reablement?

You might get help from the reablement team while you are being assessed. The assessment may be completed in the home. The reablement team will support you, or the person you are contacting us about, to maintain or increase independence, focusing on strengths. The assessment period is free and may last for up to a maximum of six weeks. The assessment will focus on longer term needs and the most appropriate way they can be met. This will include an assessment for telecare, which is also known as assistive technology.

You may also have reablement at the Council’s assessment centre. This might happen because you have been in hospital. The 24 hour assessment centre is at Ascot House in Sale. The assessment will be focused, wherever possible, on returning home. We will ensure that, if you return home, you get the support you are assessed as needing. However, if returning home is not possible, we will help you to find a residential or nursing home. You will stay at Ascot House for up to six weeks.

What happens after the needs assessment?

If you are eligible for care and support from us, we’ll list all your needs in an assessment summary and agree a support plan with you. Your support plan will cover:

  • What help you will get and who will provide it
  • When help will start
  • How often you will get help
  • Contact details of the team who make sure you get help
  • When reviews will take place to make sure we’re still meeting your needs
  • Details of care needs that can’t be met and why
  • What to do if you’re unhappy with the service

What if I'm not eligible for help?

If you’re not eligible for care and support from us, we’ll put you in touch with other organisations that may be able to help.

What if I disagree with the assessor's decision?

If you do not agree with the decision you can contact our customer relationship team for advice and support.

Will I have to pay for care?

You may have to pay something towards your support. We will do a financial assessment to work out how much you should pay.

If you choose not to have a financial assessment then you will need to pay all the cost of your care.

What if my needs change?

We aim to review your needs every year. You can also ask us for a care review if your needs change.

Back to top