Below you can find out how to access both PCR tests (if you have symptoms) and Lateral Flow Tests (if you don’t have symptoms).
Getting a test if you have symptoms
Testing is crucial is stopping the spread of Covid. It is crucial that anyone with symptoms gets tested for Covid. The key symptoms are:
- A high temperature
- A new, continuous cough
- A loss/change in your sense of smell or taste
If you have any of these symptoms (however mild) you should self isolate and book a PCR test.
How to book a PCR test
You cannot just turn up to a testing site, you must have an appointment.
It is free to get a test.
To book a test https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or call 119.
Where you can get a PCR test
There are a number of different types of testing sites available to you –
- Drive Through Sites – If you have a car you can drive to these sites. You will be given the testing pack in the car. Some of these sites are larger with long opening hours and some of these are temporary mobile sites and are just open during the day. There is a local site across the road from Trafford House between the multi-storey car park and The Bishop Blaize pub. There are also larger sites at Manchester Airport or the Etihad Stadium.
- Walk Through Sites – You walk through these sites and complete testing at a testing booth. You can still drive to these sites, but will need to park up close by and walk in. The walk through sites in Trafford are at Trafford Park (at the car park off Eleventh Street in Trafford Park near to the Village Metrolink stop) and Partington (At the old Moss View Road School).
If you are not able to get to a testing site you can order a home testing kit which will be sent to your house. You can find out more about how to take a coronavirus self test swab in this useful video.
If you need help in booking a test you can call the Coronavirus Testing Call Centre on 119.
Getting tested if you don’t have symptoms
1 in 3 people do not have any Covid symptoms (a new continuous cough, a high temperature or a loss/change in your sense of smell/taste), meaning you could have Covid, not know, and pass it onto someone else. Taking Lateral Flow Tests regularly can help identify if you have Covid. You can access tests by:
- Ordering kits straight to your front door – just click here.
- Picking up kits from a location near you (such as pharmacies or libraries) – just click here to find your closest site.
- Pick up from local Trafford libraries – the libraries are Altrincham Library, Sale Library, Stretford Library and Urmston Library. You do not need a code to do this. Tests can be picked up 10am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday, and 10am to 3.30pm on Saturday.
- Coming to Trafford’s asymptomatic testing site – click here to book.
Please note that it is crucial to remember that if you are symptomatic you should not take a Lateral Flow Test, but instead self-isolate immediately and book a PCR test.
Information on testing for people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
We have put together an easy read visual guide on having a coronavirus test.