Skip to main content

Charges for care in a residential care home

What are the charges?

If you have to go into a residential home, the cost is going to be one of the things that concerns you most. There are a number of residential homes in Trafford and they all charge different amounts, depending on the facilities they provide and the amount of care that you need.

If Trafford Council has arranged for short term care in a residential home you will not have to pay if you are in a discharge to assess bed. Your social worker or social care assessor will be able to tell you if you are getting this service. This support is free for up to three weeks. If you need longer term support you may need to pay for this service. You will have a financial assessment to find out how much you will pay. If you choose not to have a financial assessment you will pay the full cost of your care.

We can tell you how much each of these homes charge, or you can contact them directly. Most importantly we will tell you how we work out how much you will have to contribute towards the cost of staying in a residential home.

Please remember that this information will only act as a guide and that in some circumstances different rules will apply. However we will do our best to give you the financial facts and explain the charges.


This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided to us for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information on data matching to prevent and detect fraud and corruption see For further information on Trafford Council’s own Privacy Notices see

Can I get help with the cost?

Yes it is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.

We have to take into account any pensions or wages you receive, Pension Credit, Income Support and any extra social security benefits you may be entitled to claim for your stay in the home. We do not count Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance as part of your income.

We also have to take into account any savings you may have. If your savings are over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home. Any savings between £14,250 and £23,250 will also be taken into account when we work out how much you will have to pay.

Will I have to sell my house?

We will not count the value of your home if any of the following apply:

  • Your husband, wife or partner continues to live there
  • A relative aged 60 or over continues to live there
  • A relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances continues to live there
  • A child under 16 you are financially responsible for continues to live there
  • Other special circumstances.

However, if there are no special circumstances we do have to take into account the value of your house when deciding how much you should pay for your residential or nursing home care. If you need help or advice then please get in touch with Trafford Council's Financial assessment team.

What if I choose to move into a home that costs more than the Council can pay?

You may be able to make up the difference between the cost of the home and the amount the Council can pay by:

  • Negotiating with the home for a reduction in their fees.
  • Getting someone, such as a relative, friend or charity, to agree to pay a third party 'top up'.

You should also check what will happen if the fees increase. Will the person or organisation paying the 'top up' cover the increased costs? If they do not keep making the 'top up' payments you may have to move to another home. There may also be an outstanding bill for the 'top up' payments. Agreement must be reached between the Council, and the person or organisation helping to pay your fees, before any contract is signed.

In general you cannot top up fees from your own savings. The exceptions to this are:

  • If your property is being disregarded for the first 12 weeks of entering into care you can pay the top up from your own money or saving.
  • If you are on the Deferred Payments Scheme and the Council has agreed to pay the cost of your accommodation including the 'top up', which will be recovered when your property is sold.

We need to be certain that you have enough money or equity in your house to top up your care for as long as you need it.

What if I don't want to be financially assessed?

If you do not wish to give information about your capital and income you will be expected to pay the full cost.

Debt recovery

The Audit Commission report on ‘Charging for Care’ states that income collected from charges can be used to protect services, extend access and promote independence and wellbeing of clients.

Trafford Council needs to show to residents, elected members and tax payers of the Borough that it collects all income due from whatever source as effectively and efficiently as possible.

Effective financial management is fundamental to being able to fund the quality of services the Council provides. The best method of debt collection is the prevention of debt. The Council has a policy called ‘Care and Residential Services Debt Management and Recovery Policy’ which covers both prevention and recovery.

This policy is specific to the debt management and recovery of the Council’s commissioned care and residential/nursing services and describes the approach that the Council will take.

Key Principles of the Policy

  1. Collection of all money due quickly, efficiently and economically, taking into account the financial circumstances and mental capacity of the client.
  2. Prevention of debt and arrears by prompt billing and collection of money due, affordable repayment plans and early intervention when a client is in arrears.
  3. Provision of a legal framework to enable legal enforcement (where necessary) to recover debts.
  4. Compliance with the Council’s Financial Regulations and Standing Orders.
Back to top