Skip to main content

Aids, Equipment and Adaptations

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)

Items of community equipment are available for people who live in Trafford and who need practical help due to physical or learning disabilities, frailty or illness. These can sometimes be all that is needed to help you to maintain your independence and quality of life.

If you believe you need an assessment for equipment or home adaptations your first step is to contact the Equipment and Adaptations Advice Line based at the One Stop Resource Centre.

There is also a range of other private equipment and adaptations services in Trafford.



Wheelchairs can be requested from:

  • By hospital staff on behalf of their patients who are in need of a wheelchair on a short term basis.
  • By GPs on behalf of patients waiting for an assessment by the Specialised Ability Centre. This request will go via the One Stop Resource Centre.
  • Specialised Ability Centre who serve all ages of people who have permanent mobility problems, providing a wide range of wheelchairs from that of an active user to those with severe postural needs.

Major adaptations

What is a major adaptation?

It is an alteration to your home which allows you, or a carer, greater safety or independence to get access to and around your home. Your needs must be assessed first.

For an assessment, contact the One Stop Resource Centre.

How much will it cost?

A Disabled Facilities Grant is a grant from the council to help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there.

Adults applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant need to have a financial assessment. There is no financial assessment for those under 18. This is to work out how much, if anything, you need to pay towards the adaptations. If you choose not to have a financial assessment you will have to pay the full cost of the work.

If you have been assessed as needing support from Adult Social Services you may be able to have a personal budget. You may then be able to use it for some of the services mentioned above, if it meets your assessed needs.

If you need to discuss an existing adaptation, contact the Adaptations team.

Telecare, including pendant alarms

Telecare equipment is linked to a telephone alarm unit. Detectors can raise the alarm in an emergency or give early warning of smoke, extreme heat, flood, a fall, if someone has left the property or managed to get in or out of bed safely. Find telecare services who provide this equipment.

Sensory team

If you have a sensory disability you may need equipment to support your day-to-day living. In order to work out just what equipment and other support is needed, we do need to carry out an assessment. For more information contact the Sensory Team.

Posture and mobility service

The Posture and Mobility Service is based at the Specialised Ability Centre. The service carries out assessments for children and adults. They assess people for a range of equipment such as wheelchairs, buggies, seating systems and cushions.

Referral to the centre can be made by an:

  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Doctor
  • GP
  • Consultant
  • District Nurse

There is no charge for this service.

In an emergency

There is help and support available if you have problems with your equipment in the evenings and at the weekend.

If you have problems with a mattress or motorised bed, please contact the out of hours service, run by Karomed, on 01460 66033 and quote “One Stop Resource Centre”.

If you have problems with a hoist please refer to the equipment label for out of hours emergency contact numbers.

In an emergency in the evenings and at weekends you can also contact the Adult Social Services Emergency Duty Team on 0161 912 2020.

Back to top