If you live in Trafford and have a child or young person aged up to 25 years with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) we need you! We work closely with Trafford Parent Forum as we are committed to working in collaboration with families and value their views. We are now looking to extend our commitment to coproduction and need additional parent/carer representatives to join our SEND Communication and Engagement working group.
What is the role of a parent/carer representative?
You will be part of a welcoming group which plans and coordinates an ongoing programme of engagement with children and young people with SEND and their families. This group already includes representatives from Trafford Parent Forum. You will be there to input your views and share your experiences to help us improve things. The work of the group includes:
- Improving how we communicate with children, young people and families.
- Planning and contributing articles for The Link newsletter.
- Project work such as planning conferences, events and promotional videos.
- Improving systems for capturing feedback about our services.
- Providing feedback on new and existing content on our SEND Local Offer website – including documents and guidance aimed at families.
- Highlighting ‘hot topics’ and parent/carer concerns which can be fed back to the SEND Board.
Why should I get involved?
- We need to hear from parents with a range of experiences about Trafford services – both positive and negative. Your insight will help us understand where we need to focus our development work and help build better relationships between families and service providers.
- You will play a part in improving the information and support on offer for families, children and young people in Trafford.
How much time do I need to commit?
- As much or as little as you want – we want you to shape the role.
- We hold monthly meetings which last 1½ hours but there is no expectation to attend every one. Travel expenses can be claimed for this. If you prefer to be a virtual member, you can communicate and contribute via email each month.
- We understand that you have busy family lives so the role is flexible but it does require a commitment to attend some meetings and contribute to some tasks.
Contact the Family Information Service for more information
0161 912 1053 or firstname.lastname@example.org