New hydrotherapy pool at Delamere!
Department for Education SEND capital has funded a new modern hydrotherapy pool at Delamere School. Trafford Council have been working with colleagues in Amey, Bowker Sadler Associates and Seddons Construction to deliver this project.
Building works started on site in July and completed at the end of January.
What a fantastic new facility for the children and young people to enjoy!
New, free SEND parent carer course
Trafford commissioned a series of parenting courses based on the Solihull approach last year. Trafford parents could access these courses for free whilst they are at home with children during this period and beyond.
We are pleased to announce that these courses will now be available for another year and there is a new course aimed at parent carers of children with additional needs. It is equivalent to a 10 session group for parents so it is a BIG course with lots of relevant content. For more detail go to the In Our Place website.
What parents are saying about the course:
- ‘My 15 year old watched the sensory video clips. He identified his brother’s behaviour in some of them but very much saw himself. He commented ‘Mum that’s me and that’s why I do what I do!’. Since he asked me for the link for the clips and sent them to his friend, who had been calling him weird so he could understand him better. He has also opened up to his friendship group about his autism and can talk to them now about what it is like to be him.’
- ‘The course was really good! My partner was listening in on some of the sessions and watched the video clips. If only we’d known those things years ago! We thought he was making noises just to annoy us. Now we know it is him trying to concentrate on something and we let him get on with it. It’s completely changed the way we think. We would recommend it to other parents as it helped us understand’
- ‘I really enjoyed the course. A lot of it was a refresher for me. It reminded me there are other ways to look at children’s behaviour and I liked the development side of stuff. Everything I read online made sense and was not over complicated and it brought to life the norms of development and how two of my children’s brain development is different. My youngest child’s school has started her EHCP and my eldest has had his college lessons adjusted and has had 1-1 time built in too.’
- ‘The course was extremely helpful. I thought he was just acting out because of what he had seen but I can pinpoint certain things now like sensory issues. He is not just being awkward.’
- ‘The course has taught me about looking at myself. I thought it would teach me how to deal with her but I’ve dealt with me!’
Other courses and services
There are lots of other helpful courses and services that have been commissioned to meet the needs of parent carers in Trafford including:
- Trafford Sunrise - support for parents of children aged 5-12 years coping with difficult feelings and/or behavioural difficulties.
- Sleep Tight Trafford - 1 to 1 clinics for any parent whose child is struggling to sleep and specialist Sleep clinic for children who are under the care of a paediatrician or HYM.
- Coaching Inside and Out - work with a life coach to bring about change in your life, a service for adults, families and young people across Trafford.
- YES - Trafford Youth Engagement Service - provides a wide range of opportunities for young people to access support and information in a safe, non-judgmental and confidential manner.
- Kooth - free anonymous online counselling, advice and mental health support service for young people in Trafford aged 11-18.
- Engage Mentoring - intensive mentoring and group activity sessions for young people aged between 8 and 16.
- Young Carers - work with young carers offering one to one support, groups and activities and support at school.
See our Early Help page for more information.
Stepping Forward Digital Pathway to Employment
See more at the article written by Shirley Faulkner, United Response