Skip to main content

SEND Health local offer

Child using inhaler

There are many health services locally in and around Trafford which are provided in primary, community and hospital based settings. Some services are for everyone. Other services are for people of a specific age and/or who have a specific condition.

Choose Well Manchester provides you with advice about looking after yourself and when and how to use NHS services.



Primary care services

For most people, this is the first place to go. It includes your local doctor (also known as General Practitioner or GP), dentist, pharmacist or optician. Use the NHS Choices finder to find primary services near to you.

GP Learning disability register

Going to the doctor is not always easy if you have a learning disability. By joining the learning disability register you can get:

  • extra support when you visit your doctor - including making an appointment
  • support to understand your doctor and your information
  • more time to talk about how you are feeling. 

To join, just tell your doctor you have a learning disability and they will do the rest.

Community services

There is a wide range of community based health services for children and adults, supporting health and wellbeing promotion, habilitation, minor ailments and serious or long-term conditions.

For children:

For adults:

These are some key services. You can search the health section of your local offer to find the full range of services based in the community.

Sexual health

Northern Sexual Health Service provides a one stop shop for sexual health needs including contraception, young people’s sexual health services and genito-urinary medicine (GUM). Find out more details about the sexual health service including where and when the service is offered.

There is also a range of other services and support groups which you can find out about in the sexual health section of your local offer.

Substance misuse

Phoenix Futures provide the main drug and alcohol support service in Trafford. There is a specific service for young people aged between 11 and 25 with drug and/or alcohol misuse problems.

There is also a range of other services and support groups which you can find out about in the addictions and substance misuse section of our directory.

Mental health

If you're having mental health problems, you're not alone. One in four of us will have problems with our mental health at some time in our lives.

There are lots of organisations that offer mental health support, both locally and nationally. You might need different types of support at different times in your life. Sometimes it might just be about getting a bit of advice or sometimes problems are more serious or don’t get better with support from schools or self-help.

Aids, Equipment and Adaptations

For those people with an assessed need, equipment can be loaned from the One Stop Resource Centre. The centre also provides community equipment and adaptations to those people who require help to improve daily living or assistance when recovering from an illness. For wheelchairs the Posture and Mobility Service is based at the Specialised Ability Centre. The service carries out assessments for children and adults.

Augmentative and Alternative Communication

Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) covers a huge range of ways to support or replace spoken communication. Some examples of AAC are gesture, signing, symbols, word boards and books as well as voice output communication aids. We are currently considering how AAC services can be provided in Trafford in the future. We will provide more information here on the local offer when we finish our review in Spring 2015. 

The regional centre for AAC is the ACE Centre. You will find information and support for people with communication difficulties on the Ace Centre website.

Hospital based services

Local hospitals provide urgent and emergency care services. They also provide inpatient and outpatient medicine and surgery for a range of conditions, some of which are age related. Full details of these services are available on the hospital websites.

Central Manchester Foundation Trust runs the hospitals in Trafford. This includes Altrincham General Hospital and Trafford General Hospital.

Wythenshawe Hospital is another key hospital used by Trafford residents.

Preparing for Adulthood

Many local health services are for people of all ages. This means there will be no need for a young person to move between services. For those young people who receive health care services which are specifically for children, they will usually transfer to adult services at age 18.

If you have to transfer between services, this should be a planned transfer in partnership with the young person and their parent/carer. The Children's Learning Disability Nursing Service (CLDNS) create Health Action Plans (HAP) which normally begin with transition planning around the age of 14 or year 9 at school. The Health Action Plan can be shared with the people in Adult Services who will support the young person when they transfer to the adult service. Read more about Health Action Plans.

Annual health checks

People aged 14 and over who have been assessed as having moderate, severe or profound learning disabilities, or people with a mild learning disability who have other complex health needs, are entitled to a free annual health check. If you think you qualify and are not already invited to have an annual health check then speak to your doctor and make sure you get what you are entitled to. Read more about annual health checks.

Educational support with health conditions

The following pages contain information about services that assist educational providers to support children and young people with medical conditions:

Trafford Medical Education Service is an educational provision for pupils who have been prevented from attending their mainstream school as a result of medical needs. These may be physical, emotional or psychological. Pupils remain on the roll of their mainstream school and become dual registered with the service.

NHS Choices

Use the A-Z or search function below to find more information on conditions. You'll find advice on symptoms, causes, treatments and prevention. Content is provided by NHS Choices.


Back to top