Skip to main content

Charges for community care services

Social care services in the community are provided to help you remain living independently in your own home.

These include homecare and personal support (including night sitting services), telecare and community alarms, day care or day services.

If you are getting support from Trafford Council’s Care at Home service or from SAMS (Stabilise And Make Safe) support will be free for up to three weeks. Your social worker or social care assessor will be able to tell you if you are getting this service. If you need longer term support you may need to pay for this service. You will have a financial assessment to find out how much you will pay. If you choose not to have a financial assessment you will pay the full cost of your care.

Please remember that this information is a general guide only and that in some circumstances different rules will apply.

We will contact you to arrange for a financial assessment. This will provide us with full details of your income and savings so that we can work out how much you will be asked to pay towards the cost of services.

If your income is below the basic level of Income Support +25% you are unlikely to be asked to pay towards most services. However, everyone is asked to pay for any transport we provide.

If you are living with a partner who is not receiving services, we will work out your contribution based on:

  1. both of your incomes and savings, and
  2. on your own income and savings.

We will ask you to pay whichever is the lowest cost to you.


This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on the financial assessment form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see the Level 2 Fair Processing Notice or contact Trafford Council’s Audit & Assurance Section on (0161) 912 1275.

Personal Budgets

A Personal Budget is the amount of money allocated to you by Trafford Adult Social Services to meet your assessed social care needs/outcomes. You can choose to take your Personal Budget as a commissioned service or a Direct Payment.

If you choose a commissioned service this means that the Council will organise your support. You will not have as much choice in the people who support you as if you choose a Direct Payment.

Commissioned services

How much do services cost?

The amount a person pays is based on what he/she can afford. We use a financial assessment system to work out how much you are expected to pay on a sliding scale between no charge and maximum charge. The maximum costs of services are shown below.




Additional Information


£14.06 per hour

We charge in minimum units of 15 minutes for these services. If you are assessed as needing two carers at a time, we charge for both carers

Pendant alamrs/telecare

per week


£2.50 per journey

Transport will be charged in addition to any assessed charge for other services. If there is no assessed charge for other services we will still ask you to pay for your transport

Day Services via a Commissioned route

£35.50 per day

£16.74 per half day

Net disposal income


Savings credit

£14.82 - single person

£17.43 - couple

Carers premium




Direct Payment

The amount a person pays is based on what he/she can afford. We use a financial assessment system to work out how much you are expected to pay on a sliding scale between no charge and maximum charge. If you choose a Direct Payment you may be asked to pay up to 100% of the cost of your support.

The financial assessment

A financial assessment will be completed to gather full details of your finances and also check that you are receiving all the Social Security Benefits you are entitled to. We will calculate your maximum weekly payment towards the cost of your services. We will write to you about this contribution.

How do savings affect the financial assessment?

We will totally disregard the first £14,250 of your savings. For every £250, or part thereof, between £14,250 and £23,250 we will add £1 to your weekly income.

If your savings are more than £23,251 we will ask you to pay the full cost of your services with no weekly maximum. If you receive a Personal Budget we will ask you to pay 100% of the gross amount of the Personal Budget.

If you own a property other than the one in which you reside we will take the value of that property into account on your financial assessment. We may disregard the property for a period of 6 months if you provide proof that the property is on the market.

What if I don't want to be financially assessed or I am assessed as "Full Cost"?

If you do not wish to provide information about your finances we will ask you to pay the full cost of the services you have. If you choose a Direct Payment we will invoice you for the total amount. If you pay the full cost and receive over 28 hours of homecare you may ask for a discretionary review to cap the charges at 28 hours. Please write to the Finance Coordinator for more information.

How do I pay?

We will send you an invoice every four weeks which will contain full details of the various payment methods available. You may pay your invoice online at

What if I disagree with the assessment of charges?

Please write in to Financial Assessment Team, 1st Floor, Sale Waterside, Waterside House, M33 7ZF with the reason you believe the assessment is incorrect. We will check to make sure that your charge has been correctly calculated and may request further information.

If you wish to appeal, the Finance Department will carry out a detailed review of your financial situation to see whether we can agree a reduction in your charges.

Debt recovery

The Audit Commission report on ‘Charging for Care’ states that income collected from charges can be used to protect services, extend access and promote independence and wellbeing of clients.

Trafford Council needs to show to residents, elected members and tax payers of the Borough that it collects all income due from whatever source as effectively and efficiently as possible.

Effective financial management is fundamental to being able to fund the quality of services the Council provides. The best method of debt collection is the prevention of debt. The Council has a policy called ‘Care and Residential Services Debt Management and Recovery Policy’ which covers both prevention and recovery.

This policy is specific to the debt management and recovery of the Council’s commissioned care and residential/nursing services and describes the approach that the Council will take.

Key Principles of the Policy

  1. Collection of all money due quickly, efficiently and economically, taking into account the financial circumstances and mental capacity of the client.
  2. Prevention of debt and arrears by prompt billing and collection of money due, affordable repayment plans and early intervention when a client is in arrears.
  3. Provision of a legal framework to enable legal enforcement (where necessary) to recover debts.
  4. Compliance with the Council’s Financial Regulations and Standing Orders.
Back to top