Before anyone makes decisions for you, they must do everything possible to help you make your own decisions. If you are not able to make decisions, then any decisions must be in your best interest.
Before making decisions for you, people must:
- assume that you can make your own decisions
- assess your capacity to make decisions
- give you all the help you need to make decisions
- make decisions in your best interest, if you don't have the capacity to make the decisions yourself
- make decisions that least affect your rights and freedoms, if they are making decisions for you
- accept the decisions that you make, even if they don't agree with them