Skip to main content

SEND Colleges, sixth forms and further learning

Here you will find more information about colleges and sixth forms, supported learning at colleges in Trafford and the surrounding areas, as well as other further learning opportunities available.  

Foundation and mainstream courses

You can do mainstream courses, such as A-levels or vocational courses, with support to meet your needs. Some colleges will offer foundation learning. These are entry level courses which can be completed prior to accessing a mainstream course.

Supported Learning courses

Supported Learning courses focus on both life skills and work skills. Study programmes are for 16 to 25 year olds where the student has a Learning Difficulty Assessment or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. They are based on a young person's prior attainment and designed to meet clear educational and career aspirations.

How can I choose the right school, college or sixth form?

All schools, colleges and sixth forms have to produce a clear idea of what their own individual local offer looks like for students with special educational needs or who are disabled. This information will be published on their websites. You can find the links to these on each individual college and sixth form listing.

What does Fee-paying colleges mean?

Fee-Paying colleges are independent specialist education providers that can cater for many specific needs. To access these colleges, parent carers will typically need to pay fees to the education provider, as opposed to the place being funded by the local authority, unless otherwise indicated on a young person's Education, Health, Care Plan (EHCP).

Higher Education

If you are interested in going to university you will find local universities and support available to you in this section.

Back to top