Skip to main content

Travel assistance to schools, colleges or social care settings

If your child is of compulsory school age, it is your responsibility as a parent to make sure your child attends school regularly and at the right time. However, the Council is required by law to provide or pay for eligible children to receive transport to school.

An eligible child must be a resident in Trafford and be of compulsory school age. A child ceases to be of compulsory school age on the last Friday in June of the school year when they turn 16 years old.

To find out if your child is eligible for support, please read the home to school transport policy.

If you think you are eligible, please complete the travel assistance request application form.

The SEN transport service standards clearly explain the specific responsibilities of the council, transport providers and of parents and carers in relation to the approved travel arrangements offered to children with special educational needs. For a copy of the standards, please contact us (contact details below).

Change of circumstances

Please be aware that if your child’s circumstances change, for example a change of school or home address, you must re-apply for travel assistance, no changes will be made without a new application being submitted.  

Review of travel assistance

Travel assistance will come under review on a regular basis and as a result, the provision of this service may change in type, frequency or may be withdrawn completely, where it is deemed no longer eligible.

Who to contact

0161 912 5055
Travel assistance to schools, colleges or social care settings
Extra details

Text service: 07860 052684

Who is it for?

5 to 16
Eligibility Details

To qualify for transport support, your child must meet the following conditions:

  • They must live in the Borough of Trafford
  • They must be known to have Special Educational Needs
  • They must be of statutory school age (5 to 16)
  • They must attend the nearest school deemed capable of meeting their educational needs.

To find out more about whether your child is eligible for support, please read the School Transport Policy.

What do I do if my child is refused transport and I want to appeal?

You may appeal against the decision on two grounds:

  • Maladministration: this is factual errors in the details used to determine eligibility.
  • Exceptional Circumstances: this refers to the child's physical inability to walk the expected distance. This can be due to physical impairment or to the route being dangerous for the child (e.g. a canal towpath).

Appeals are determined by the section director. Further course of appeal is via the Local Government Ombudsman.

How to use this service

Referral Required?
Referral Details

If you think you are eligible, please complete the passenger transport request application form.

Last updated date:
31 May 2018


Sign in to write a review

Back to top