As the Specialist Nurse for Children’s Palliative Care, I support children and young people living with a life limiting or threatening condition and their families. I am part of Trafford Children and Young People’s Services (CYPS) which brings together professionals from health, education and social care and I work closely with the Children’s Community Nursing Team, Community Paediatricians and the Children’s Therapy Services.
I aim to help and support families by:
- Offering practical advice and support including referral to other services
- Management of pain such as pain, nausea and vomiting or agitation
- Supporting families to talk to their child, siblings and other family members about what is happening
- Acting as a single point of contact for families to facilitate effective co-ordination of services
- Supporting families to develop Advance Care Plans that reflect their wishes
- Help, if needed, planning end of life care