GMCDP's Shaping Our Inclusion project is centered on working with young disabled people who are interested in activism, campaigning and leadership. We are working with young people (under 30) to get involved in the organisation and take on roles such as Executive Board members, leaders, trainers, representatives and activists. Having been around for over 30 years, GMCDP is looking to recruit young people who will become the future of this organisation.
Is this project for you?
Ideally, we are looking for young disabled people who:
- Are aged 18-30
- Live in Greater Manchester
- Want to make a difference for disabled people in Greater Manchester
- Who want to develop their skills in activism (e.g. leadership, project management, strategic thinking, representation, training and campaigning)
- Are politically active (or would like to become more politically active)
- Are willing to promote the Social Model of disability
What happens if I get involved with the project?
This project provides training and development opportunities throughout the year, and the areas participants can get involved in can be shaped by their own personal interests and experience. Below are just some of the areas you can get involved in:
- Strategic thinking
- Film making
- Social media
...and lots more. The project meets every fortnight (alternate daytime and evening meetings, to allow everyone the opportunity to attend at least one meeting), and we discuss and plan our activities (e.g. upcoming campaigns) but also discuss our thoughts on current day politics, theory and positions of the coalition (e.g. our stance on inclusive education). These meetings tend to be very lively, interesting sessions, and more often than not take place over pizza.