Skip to main content

Free Places For 2 Year Olds

We have free places for 2 year olds in Trafford. If you are eligible, you can apply for up to 15 free hours per week at an approved provider who is part of the scheme.  You can get your child's free place from the January, April or September after their second birthday.  For full details about who is eligible and the number of hours you can claim see the guide.

Finding a place for your child

There is a choice of providers such as a pre school playgroup, a private day nursery or a childminder. They must have available spaces and be on Trafford's approved list of providers.  Look out for the 15 hours a week free childcare logo which means a provider is part of the scheme. 

You should find a provisional place for your child before submitting your application. If you are unable to find your child a place, please let us know and we'll help you. 

Apply online now

If you have any questions about how this scheme works or need support to access a place for your child, please contact us - we are always happy to help!

Who to contact

0161 912 1053
Online Application

Who is it for?

2 year olds
Eligibility Details
  • Families in receipt of one or more of the following benefits or tax credits:
    • Income Support
    • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
    • The guarantee element of the State Pension Credit
    • Universal Credit, where your household has a combined annual work income of less than £15,400 after tax
    • Child Tax Credit, where your household income is less than £16,190
    • Working Tax Credit, where your household income is less than £16,190
  • Ayslum seekers receiving support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
  • Children who are looked after by the local authority or who have left care through special guardianship, adoption or residence order. 
  • Children who are the subject of a Child Protection Plan.
  • Children who have a statement of SEN or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.
  • Disabled children who receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

How to use this service

Referral Required?
Referral Details

Parents who meet the eligibility criteria can self refer by completing an online application form

Social workers can refer children who are in the care of the local authority or those who are the subject of a child protection plan.

Last updated date:
23 September 2020

We strongly suggest contacting the service or activity before you use it. This way you can check all the details are correct and that everything is right for you. Trafford Directory disclaimer


Rated 5 out of 5
Sign in to write a review

Excellent Service

Accessing the funding has been absolutely fantastic as it's helped me return to work and I've not had to worry about the nursery costs as much. As a single mum this has always worried me before. My son loves the setting and is happy where he is.


From first time I put in my application for the 2 year old funding the service I have had has been exceptional on every occassion the lady has called. I am also very impressed with your telephone manner and amount of help given.