The EASS rund a helpline advises and assists individuals on issues relating to equality and human rights, across England, Scotland and Wales. We can also accept referrals from organisations which, due to capacity or funding issues, are unable to provide 'in depth help and support' to local users of their services local users of their services.
Some examples of the types of issues we have advised on:
- A disabled individual who was trying to update banking details through the use of an interpreter at his local high street bank.
- An individual who has been victimised by a pub landlord because he has inferred that a member of his staff was acting unlawfully by racially abusing a fellow customer.
- An individual who was unhappy about the way that the younger clientele at work treated him and spoke to him because he was an older person.
- A Trans individual, who had transitioned from male to female, who worked for a security company and reapplied for a security pass only to discover that the process for renewing her pass had disclosed the fact she had undergone gender reassignment surgery.
- A pregnant woman who was advised by a leading restaurant chain to breast feed her baby in the toilet and not in the restaurant as she was causing offence.