This service covers the Stretford and Old Trafford areas of Trafford.
Who are we?
Health Visitors are qualified, registered nurses with specialist knowledge of community and public health, child health, and health promotion and education. We work in teams with Community Staff Nurses, Community Nursery Nurses, Health Care Assistants and Interpreters.
What do we do?
We aim to promote the physical health and mental well-being of children and their families, and to safeguard and promote children’s welfare. We work together with parents and carers to ensure that children have the best start in life and are able to achieve their full potential. We work closely with others, including Midwives, GPs, School Nurses, Speech Therapists, Children’ Centres, Nurseries, Schools, Social Workers, Hospital and Mental Health Services. We help to deliver the “Healthy Child Programme” which offers every family screening tests, immunisations, developmental reviews, and information and guidance to support parenting and healthy choices.
What services are provided?
We can offer you support and information about:
- Family health and wellbeing including support for mothers with postnatal depression
- Infant feeding with special knowledge of breast feeding and weaning
- Parenting concerns and issues
- Child growth and development
- Language development and early learning
- Behaviour difficulties, including sleeping, eating, potty training, temper tantrums
- Healthy eating, play, safety and activity
- Common childhood infections/illnesses and immunisation
- Common skin problems
- Accident prevention
- Your health - including diet and food; giving up smoking; bereavement; and violence in the family
When do I see a Health Visitor?
First contact with a Health Visitor can be at the antenatal stage (before a baby is born). Once a baby is born, and then at various stages within a child's life, depending on need, we can visit you at home, or see you at the Child Health Clinic/ Well Baby clinic, Children’s Centre, doctor’s surgery or health centre. You can contact us by phone with any questions and to seek advice.
Named Health Visitors for early years settings
All school nursery classes, day nurseries and preschool playgroups have a named Health Visitor for support and childminders have access to their local Health Visiting Teams. Contact locality team for more information.