Small Specialist Classes (SSC) in Seconday, Primary, Junior and Infant schools were created to ensure the majority of pupils with complex special educational needs would have their additional needs met within a mainstream school.
These classes are for either 8 or 10 pupils with an EHC plan. Each has a teacher and a teaching assistant (TA). Some pupils in the classes have additional teaching assistant time allocated to them. This means that at times there are more than one teaching assistant in each class, which benefits all pupils.
Staff are experienced and trained in the particular specialism of each class as well as general special and additional needs.
Pupils from the SSC often spend time in the bigger classes in the school when they show themselves able to cope with the social and educational demands of the mainstream class in particular areas of the curriculum.
Pupils from the SSCs are fully integrated into the general life of the school.
Small specialist classes in Trafford are as follows:
- Acre Hall Primary - Social Communication and Complex Learning Difficulties including Autistic Spectrum
- Barton Clough - Complex Learning Difficulties and Language Disorder
- Firs Primary - Social Communication and Complex Learning Difficulties including Autistic Spectrum
- Moorlands Junior - Social Communication and Complex Learning Difficulties including Autistic Sepctrum
- Wellfield Infants - Social Communication Difficulties including Autistic Spectrum
- Wellfield Junior - Social Communication Difficulties including Autistic Spectrum
- Lostock High School - Autism Spectrum