Skip to main content

Access to Work Grant

An Access to Work grant helps pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition so you can:

  • start working
  • stay in work
  • start your own business

How much you get depends on your circumstances. The money doesn’t have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits.

There is no set amount for an Access to Work grant. How much you get depends on your circumstances.

The money can pay for things like:

  • adaptations to the equipment you use
  • special equipment
  • fares to work if you can’t use public transport
  • a support worker or job coach to help you in your workplace
  • a support service if you have a mental health condition and you’re absent from work or finding it difficult to work
  • disability awareness training for your colleagues
  • a communicator at a job interview
  • the cost of moving your equipment if you change location or job

You can use the award to help start your own business in addition to support from the New Enterprise Allowance.

Who to contact

0800 121 7479
Access to Work

Who is it for?

Supporting People With
Learning disability
Mental health
Autistic Spectrum
Physical impairment
Hearing impairment
Visual impairment
Eligibility Details

Access to Work grants are only available if the employer is based in England, Scotland or Wales.

You must be 16 or over and either:

  • about to start a job or work trial
  • in a paid job or self-employed (you can’t get a grant for voluntary work)

Your disability or health condition must affect your ability to do a job or mean you have to pay work-related costs. For example, special computer equipment or travel costs because you can’t use public transport.

Your mental health condition must affect your ability to do a job. It must also mean you need support to:

  • start a new job
  • reduce absence from work
  • stay in work

You might not qualify if you get any of these benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Income Support
  • National Insurance Credits

How to use this service

Referral Required?
Referral Details

Follow these steps if you think you can get help from Access to Work.

  1. Contact Access to Work.

  2. Print the Access to Work eligibility letter and take it to your employer or to a job interview.

  3. When an adviser contacts you and your employer, tell them about the help and support you need.

You may need the following when you contact Access to Work:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your workplace address, including your postcode
  • the name, email address and work phone number of a workplace contact (eg your manager)
  • your unique tax reference number (if you’re self employed)
  • the name of your New Enterprise Allowance mentor (if you have one)
Last updated date:
29 July 2021

We strongly suggest contacting the service or activity before you use it. This way you can check all the details are correct and that everything is right for you. Trafford Directory disclaimer


Sign in to write a review