Skip to main content

Moving into a home with support

If you no longer feel able to live independently in your own home, there are different kinds of homes where you can live with the support of carers and still enjoy a great quality of living.


Residential homes


Residential homes can support residents with everyday tasks like dressing, personal hygiene, eating, drinking, medication and supporting their mobility. Residents enjoy socialising and activities together and are served with nutritious meals. Residential homes do not offer medical care but they work alongside residents and their families to produce individualised care plans, ensuring that residents' needs and preferences are respected at all times.


Nursing homes

Nursing homes provide round-the clock medical treatment and support which is delivered by nurses, carers and other healthcare professionals. Some nursing homes specialise in conditions such as dementia.


Dual registered homes

Some homes provide both nursing and residential care on one site, these are known as dual registration homes.


Respite care


Respite care is a care service intended to help someone for a short period of time, for example when recovering from illness or surgery, or allow a person's carer to have a break. Some respite services are provided by nursing and residential homes who admit residents for a fixed-term period of care, after which they return home. Other respite care services come to your home.


Supported living


Supported living schemes enable adults with a learning disability to live together in shared accommodation. Residents benefit from tailored support while having the independence to manage their own daily lives.


Shared Lives


Some adults with disablilities and older people are supported through the Shared Lives scheme. The person needing support will live with, and be supported by a family. They may live with the family all the time or just some of the time to give their family a break. Trafford Council may be able to provide support through a Shared Lives Scheme,  which is operated by PossAbilities. However, you will need to have an assessment of your needs.



Choosing a care home

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates and inspects care homes and other care services in England. On each care home's record on Trafford Directory you can see their most recent inspection outcome along with a link to the inspection report.

CQC have produced a guide called 'What can you expect from a good care home?' which describes the five main inspection criteria and how good care homes demonstrate that they are safe, effective, caring, responsive to people's needs and well-led. 


Assessing and paying for support

To help identify which services would be most appropriate for you, you can request a social care needs assessment from Trafford Council. You can also request a financial assessment to find out how much, if anything, you will need to contribute towards the cost of your care.

You can also get help with money, housing and legal matters, from services who can offer impartial advice or work on your behalf. Whether it's debt, budgeting, benefits, finding a new home or finding out what your rights are, there are organisations in Trafford who can help you.

Back to top