Housing and residential care

Adults and older people

If you no longer feel able to live independently in your own home, there are different kinds of homes where you can live with the support of carers and still enjoy a great quality of living.

To help identify which services would best meet your needs, you can request a social care needs assessment. 


Residential homes

Residential Homes provide non-medical care supporting residents with everyday tasks like dressing, personal hygiene, eating, drinking, medication and mobility.


Nursing homes

Nursing Homes provide round-the clock medical treatment and support delivered by nurses, carers and other healthcare professionals. Some nursing homes specialise in conditions such as dementia.


Dual registration

Dual registered homes provide both nursing and residential care on one site.


Respite care

Respite care is intended to help someone for a short period of time, for example when recovering from illness or surgery, or allow a person's carer to have a break.


Choosing a care home

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates and inspects care homes and other care services in England. On each care home's record on Trafford Directory you can see their most recent inspection outcome along with a link to the inspection report.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) have produced a guide called 'What can you expect from a good care home?' 


Sheltered and extra care housing

Sheltered and extra care housing are accommodation complexes which usually have communal facilities for socialising, with trained staff on-site who can help deal with emergencies.


Supported living

Supported living accommodation helps adults with a learning disability to live together. Residents benefit from tailored support while having the independence to manage their own daily lives.


Paying for support

A financial assessment will find out how much, if anything, you will need to put towards the cost of your care.

Get help with money, housing and legal matters, from services who can offer advice or work on your behalf.  


Save to Shortlist


Last updated: 25/10/2022

Go back to top