Skip to main content

Paying for support

Adults and Older People

If you are 18 or older you may have to pay for your support. This will depend on:

  • Your income and savings.
  • If you have nursing care.
  • If you own your own home.
  • If you live with someone else.

The amount you pay will depend on the support you get. It will depend on whether you get support in your own home, are living in a residential home or in a nursing home.


Paying for care and support in your own home

If you get help at home, such as homecare, or in the community, such as a day support service, you may need to pay toward the cost.


Paying for residential and nursing home care

If you move into a residential care home or nursing home you may need to pay towards the cost of your care. 


Paying for your care and support

If you have been assessed and are considered to be a "self funder" have a look at the NHS guide to paying for your own care and support.  The BBC care cost calculator can help you to get an idea of how much it will cost and Age UK have some useful advice about paying for a care home.


Personal budgets and direct payments

Find out more about personal budgets for adult social care

Find out more about personal budgets for healthcare needs at NHS Continuing Healthcare.


Someone to manage my finances

Appointee services if you need help to manage your money


Deferred payment scheme

If you are eligible for the deferred payment scheme you may be able to put off selling your home during your lifetime if you are in permanent care.


Financial advice

You may also want some financial advice about how you might pay for care now or in the future.


Back to top